Cool Buddy CB-C-1 Setup Instructions
Thank you for purchasing this Cool Buddy Cooling Mattress Pad System from Pearland Imports LLC!! Our goal is to change the way people sleep by offering these phenomenal products at an affordable price to everyone. If you love your Cool Buddy, please tell your friends and colleagues about it. If you ever have a question or issue with your Cool Buddy please let us know so we can make it right.
Pearland Imports LLC
Included in the box are the obligatory poorly translated instruction manual 😊…Sorry about that…please disregard those and proceed with the instructions below. You can also find setup videos on YouTube by searching for Cool Buddy USA.
- Remove all items from the box. There are 2 primary components, a blue mattress pad and a blue and white cooling unit. Also included is a remote, a power cord, 4 rubber stoppers, and an extra capacity water tank….more on that later….for most users it is simply not necessary.
- Unfold the mattress pad and lay it on top of your mattress…I recommend placing it under the sheet. There are multiple ways to place the pad, but the key is that the hoses will need to be run to the control unit, either behind the headboard or off the side of the bed. There is no top or bottom so you can flip it to get the hoses in the optimal position.
- Place the cooling unit in its desired location and gently connect the hoses to the outlet nozzles on the side. They are reversible, so it does not matter which hose goes on which nozzle. Do note that optimal placement for the cooling unit is slightly higher than the pad, like on a night stand. The Cool Buddy will still work fine if placed lower than the pad, however you must take extra caution to avoid overflow….see notes below for guidelines
- Plug your Cool Buddy’s cord into the wall socket and then into the cool buddy itself…(right side).
- Fill your Cool Buddy with ~0.4 gallons of tapwater and have additional water ready to top off. We get many questions about this….water is added to the top of the unit….the lid slides off revealing a blue “drip tray”….slowly add the water here….it will drip down to the reservoir. Observe the tank level through the clear marking on the side, taking care not to overfill.
- Turn on your cool buddy using the button on top of the unit marked On/Off. Your Cool Buddy will begin pumping water from the reservoir, through the pad, and ultimately back to the cooling unit. You will observe the water level dropping in the viewing window as water fills the pad. After a minute or so, your low water alarm will likely beep as water has been pumped into the pad. Refill with tapwater as before, and the unit will continue pumping until the pad is full. At this point you will see the return water coming back and flowing into the drip tray. Top off one final time and let the unit run about 20 minutes to reach operating temperature.
- There are 4 fan speeds to adjust the amount of cooling with 4 providing the most cooling and 1 providing the least…. Press the “Gear” button on the front of the cooling unit to adjust.
Cool Buddy Floor Placement
Your Cool Buddy will work fine if floor placement is required, but gravity adds a small complication. The pad itself holds some water, and while the unit is on, the pump’s pressure will keep that water in the pad even if it is elevated above the cooling unit. However, once the unit is turned off, gravity will pull some of that water back down to the reservoir. Normally, this will be in the morning, and after having run all night long, the reservoir will be mostly empty, and will have the capacity to take the extra water without issue. However, if there is not sufficient capacity in the tank, some water could overflow onto your floor. It’s just water, but nobody wants that, so we advise extra caution. If floor placement is necessary, perhaps set it on a towel the first few uses to see if this might be a problem for you. Once you become more familiar with your unit’s water usage you can adjust your nightly fill accordingly. Another option is to utilize the included Extra capacity water tank.
Cool Buddy Extra Capacity Water Tank
While the Cool Buddy will have enough water capacity to run all night for most, there are some scenarios where the extra capacity water tank may come in handy. The first is for floor placement where as noted above, gravity can cause an overflow situation when the unit is shut off and water flows from the pad and back to the cooling unit’s water reservoir. The extra tank size provides additional overflow capacity. The second scenario is if you need to run your unit in especially dry areas for extended amounts of time without refilling. Evaporation rates will be higher and extra capacity may come in handy.
If you think the extra capacity will be beneficial, here is how to set it up. On the bottom of your Cool Buddy is a small white plug. Pull it out gently by hand, or with a pair of pliers if you can’t get it loose by hand. Then place your unit in the water tank and fill with water. With the plug out water is free to circulate from the extra tank into the cooling unit’s reservoir, and ultimately through the pad. I am the first to admit it is not the most elegant solution, but it is simple, affordable, and it just plain works. That said, the majority of users will not need this feature, but it is included just in case.
We advise to top off your unit every evening. First turn your Cool Buddy on and allow it a minute to fill the -pad. Then fill to the max water line and give the unit about 20 minutes to reach operating temperature, which will be 7-12 degrees below room temperature, depending on your climate and the relative humidity of the room.
Your Cool Buddy unit was designed and engineered to give you years of service. However, the longevity of your device is primarily a function of performing simple routine maintenance of replacing the coolant water in your system weekly. The problem is simple…your system uses about a gallon of water and given enough time algae can develop in any container of stagnant water. Fortunately, the solution is also simple…just drain your unit completely once a week and if you ever go more than 3 days without using it, drain it completely. Failure to maintain your Cool Buddy will allow growth inside the system and may lead to premature failure not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
If you need additional units for friends or family we can sell them directly to you for a great price. Just check out our web site at CoolBuddyUSA.com for new units and replacement parts.
Warranty: Please note that your Cool Buddy is covered by a 90 day manufacturer’s limited warranty administered by Pearland Imports .If you have any problems with your system during the 90 day warranty period please contact us and we will coordinate with the manufacturer to repair or replace your unit.
Reviews: Of course positive feedback is always appreciated and is critical to the success of our product and our business. If you feel our product deserved a poor review we would simply ask that you give us a chance to make it right before you give us a bad rating…. Bad reviews, fair or not can be devastating to our company. We are a small business trying to make the world a little better place in our own small way… providing the US market with an affordable product we think will help people both sleep better and save a lot of energy. We aren’t perfect but we would appreciate the opportunity to earn a 5 Star rating both for our product and our customer service.
- The most common issue our customers run into is a loss of cooling. The number one cause of this is due to the mattress pad becoming folded over on itself, stopping the water flowing through the pad and cooling system. The solution is to straighten out the pad, removing the kink and allowing water circulation to continue.
- We have found that the easiest way to perform the weekly flush is by carrying the unit and the pad together to the tub or shower. We then unhook the hoses and hang the pad from the shower rod allowing the water to drain. Give the cooling unit a good swirl to loosen any debris so it will get flushed out. Then hook it back up and fill it back up with fresh tap water.